Making gummy candy is fun and easy, especially if you’re using a silicone mold. There are several different recipes for making gummy candies at home, but this one uses gelatin and juice as the main ingredients. The other components give it that special tangy-sweetness that makes it so enjoyable to eat! This recipe makes about 30 pieces of candy, but can easily be doubled or tripled based on how many people you want to share with (or how much candy you want to eat yourself).
Mix together the gelatin and water
- Measure out the gelatin and water. The ratio of these two ingredients is important because it will determine how much candy you end up with. For every 1/2 cup of gelatin, use 2 cups of water.
- Heat the mixture in a microwave or on the stovetop until it’s dissolved into a liquid state (you’ll want to use cold water for this step).
Add in the juice, alcohol and sugar
In a pot, add the juice, alcohol and sugar. Mix well until all of the ingredients are combined. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon or spatula.
Place the mixture into silicone molds
- Take your mixture and place it in the molds.
- Use a spoon to fill the molds up, then use a knife to level off the tops.
- If you don’t have silicone molds, don’t worry–you can use any kind of mold you have around the house, such as ice cube trays or candy molds!
- If that fails too (or if you just want something simpler), try using baking sheets instead!
Freeze for a few hours or overnight.
This is the most important step. Freeze for a few hours or overnight. The gelatin will set as it cools, and this will help prevent your gummy candy from being too soft when you bite into it.
If you don’t have a candy thermometer, this is an opportunity to invest in one! They’re not expensive (I think mine cost less than $15), and they’ll come in handy for all kinds of projects–you can use them to check whether your oven temperature is accurate or how hot oil is when deep frying. You should also make sure that your mixture has cooled enough before pouring it into molds; if it’s too hot, it may melt those little suckers right away!
You can make delicious gummy candy from food items you already have.
You can make delicious gummy candy from food items you already have. It’s easy to make your own gummies at home with just a few ingredients, and it’s fun to customize them with different flavors and colors!
- Fruit juice (orange, apple or raspberry)
- Gelatin powder (you can use unflavored Jello brand gelatin)
Mix equal parts fruit juice and sugar in a pot over low heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves completely into the juice mixture; then turn off the heat and let cool for 10 minutes before adding 1/4 cup of cold water or more if needed so that when combined with all other ingredients later on during preparation process will yield approximately 2 cups total volume when finished cooking process has been completed without boiling over while mixing together.* Add jellied mass into mold cavities evenly spaced apart from each other so that each cavity contains about 1 tbsp worth of material inside them all around perimeter edges where no additional filling is needed since these areas are meant only for decorative purposes rather than functionality ones such
Now that you know how to make gummy candy, your next step is to get started. You can use any juice or alcohol in these recipes, but we recommend using something that’s not too sweet or overpowering like apple juice or vodka. Also keep in mind that the amount of gelatin will vary depending on whether you use store-bought or homemade gelatin sheets!